Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Typhoon Adventure


            It was lightly raining as Mom and I headed out for the school. Mom told me and the 20 year old that live down stairs that she had checked last night on the internet (Wow, tec. these days) and it was just a tropical depression (A.K.A. Just a rain storm), so the schools would still be open. We got to school and the guard (who doesn’t do just guarding, that is just his official title) was walking down the stairs. He informed us that he was going to Mam’ Teresa’s house (the administrator), to see if schools were still open. He and Teresa came back and told us that only preschool would be going home. Mam’ Teresa said she saw that it was just a tropical depression. Then we heard the ding ding of Teresa’s cell. She looked down, read the message, put her hands on her head and said “Mam’ Tomaob just texted me to tell me that public schools are closed so we should close the schools.”
            So Mom and the rest started getting a hold of kids parents telling them to come and pick up their child/ren. The 20 year old foreigners  found a way to occupy the kids who were still there. I went in to join them. My mom called me out for a second. She wanted me to see………….. a big waterfall on the staircase. It was about a foot deep and flowing down very rapidly. At that point I was thinking to myself “How are we going to get home?”                                        
The flooded staircase of our school.
            Well, we walked. We went down the road we take to church. It was flooded. So Mom and I trudged through almost a knee length of water. We heard that many people's houses were flooded. We ended up on the beach. Most of the restaurants were scooping out water that had gotten in. The beach flood water was at our ankles. Mom and I had to hold our breath as we walked through the so called “water” that turned out to be people’s sewage. It smelt kind of like horse’s number 2. Then we got to the outdoor mall. It was completely flooded. There was water everywhere. It was again up to my knees. We were looking for somewhere to eat. We were planning to go somewhere that is deep inside the mall but we decided to go to the closest restaurant. We finished our meal and trudged through the wetness, got some groceries and went home. When we got home there was no power. (That was our 16th power outage here.) Mom and I used the water that Tesha had saved in a bucket just before there was a power outage to have a sponge bath to get the dirty water off our bodies. My first flood was a day I will never forget. 
Love From: Kylee :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi it is me Victoria Rundle, I met you in grade 2 at Sir Isaac Brock. My little sister is in Mrs. T Muller's class and she was telling us about a family from Guelph living in Boricay and I said that is my friend. I loved reading about your adventure so far!Have a great time I hope we can see each other when you come home.
    From,
    Victoria(Vicky)

    ReplyDelete