Saturday, October 15, 2011

Many Things to Say

Hi this is Kylee. I wanted to give you an update about what we are doing here. I want to start by telling you about a visitor we had last night. One that crawls on eight legs and likes to sneak around beside you when you are not looking.
I had been sitting down for a long time and then finally got up when I realized that there was a spider literally bigger than my hand. I ran down stairs and told my Dad. He was like, "Great! Where is the camera?" He grabbed the camera ran up stairs and told me to get a piece of paper and a  bowl. He got the bowl over the spider and put the paper under. We think it is called a huntsman spider. They eat mice and small animals and it bites. He brought it down the street and let it go free. That night I was so spooked that I checked, double-checked and triple-checked my bed for another one. I was really spooked. Here are some pictures:
Up Close
For Perspective


Another thing I want to tell you about is chapel. We have chapel every Friday. Most of the time Siann, Tesha, and I run it. We do a prayer, a skit, than worship songs. Their favourite is Jesus Love is a Bubbling Over.





They do other songs too, like Peace Like a River, Deep and Wide, John 3: 16 (a song made by camp leader), Jesus Loves Me, etc. One of the chapels we did was Zacchaeus.


Last week was National Hand Washing Day. The Philippine Red Cross came to the school and taught everyone how to wash their hands properly. At first I thought, "Why make all this fuss?" But then I remembered that if we don't wash our hands properly we could spred Tifoide, or other bad diseases. Here are some pics:


















Someone I want to tell you about is a girl who we met on the beach. She was 8 years old and she didn't have a mother. She only spoke a little english (lamang ng kaunti Ingles as we say here on the island.) and was so cute. When we saw her we offered her some food. She sat by us then saw we were going to swim. She took off her shirt and pants and went swiming in just undies. She hopped in the water and spent the rest of the day with us. I would like to ask you to pray for her. Her name is Mary-Rosan. Thanks. Here is a picture of Siann, Mary-Rosan, and me.
Swimming and finding shells in the beach.

Laughing and playing together.
 So to wrap it up I am so amazed by everything here and I am excited to tell you more as I stay here longer. This island has helped me grow as a Christian, person, and servant of Jesus.
We gave her a sand mermaid fin.

Being a mermaid with coconut shells.




3 comments:

  1. Kylee, thank you for posting your thoughts and experiences in Boracay! I too would be very frightened if I encountered a spider that large! I hearing about the friend you met on the beach. It sounds like you had fun swimming together in the ocean. I love the mermaid sand costume you made for her complete with the coconuts! :) The best thing about this post is when you mentioned how you are growing as a Christian. That is the most important thing in life, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind posting the lyrics for Jesus Love is Bubbling Over? I don't think I've ever heard that one before. -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylee, what an amazing experience for you girls and your folks! Such a wonderful opportunity to do god's work, and grow in your faith! I am excited to read more as the journey continues for all of you...though I must admit that reading about the spider made me 'wigout' a bit!!!!

    ReplyDelete